Sunday 15 May 2016

15 May : Daisies


'the leaping greenly spirits of trees and a blue true dream of sky'
e.e. cummings

The bench by the church door catches the late afternoon sun so I walked across from the cottage with a book and sat there intending to read for a while. I was immediately distracted by the new green-ness of the oak tree, the bustle of rooks flying around the church tower and the bright, joyful carpet of daisies and buttercups.. The following morning the churchwarden was strimming the grass in the churchyard and I felt momentarily sad at the loss but I know that it is this conscientious cutting that allows the flowers to grow in such profusion. On Sunday the church was filled with the scent of meadow hay and as we walked back to the cottage after the service I noticed that new daisies had already appeared.

2 comments:

  1. the natural world is surely the most wonderful book of all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember ever seeing as many daisies and buttercups as there are this year. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.